The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon RH Switch screw up

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3882 by 15295
RH Switch screw up was created by 15295
R100S 78
My turn signal switch works fine but would sometimes when in the center notch, stay solid green. I'd wiggle the toggle and it would go off. So, after reading someone saying that they take the switches apart and clean the contacts I figured I could do that too. Didn't realize there was a spring and ball bearing in the engine off red cap that I attempted to remove. Is it possible to get the spring /ball back in position or am I looking for another switch?
What a nube...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3903 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic RH Switch screw up
I highly suggest disassembling those on the kitchen table over a terry cloth towel. The soft, rough surface helps capture small parts that are "making a run for it". And they do tend to jump out with very little warning.

Yes, they can be re-assembled. The trick is to use heavy, water-proof grease. This helps keep small parts from running away, and helps the switch operation once assembled. Be sure and keep the grease on the mechanical parts, not the electrical contacts.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 15295

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3908 by 15295
Replied by 15295 on topic RH Switch screw up
Thanks. The little spring peeking out of the switch made me just set the whole thing down and send an sis. I'll report my success or failure.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3914 by 15295
I don't have a template on how to reassemble. I'm assuming the wavy washer goes on first, next to the switch base. Then the notched contact washer that can only go on one way, notches outward. The spring slides into the hole on the switch with the ball bearing following it to tension the switch into the 3 positions (found that an 1/8" ball bearing should work but I keep launching them across the room from the spring pressure so I'm not sure). Is this correct?

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #3920 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic RH Switch screw up
Sounds correct to me, except it's probably a 3mm ball (0.118") which is slightly smaller than 1/8".

First try the ball in the recess for the spring. If it won't go in the hole, then that's why you're having so much trouble with the ball popping back out.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Wobbly.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #3921 by 15295
You're right w the 3 mm but the 1/8 falls right in. It's just pushing the spring loaded ball into the hole that will launch it.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.971 seconds