The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon What lube for enrichener mechanism?

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3332 by 12990
12990 created the topic: What lube for enrichener mechanism?
Hey all,
Doing a top-end re-seal on my '78 R100RS and decided to address my sticky enrichener mechanism and 40 year old "cables".
On disassembly, it appears whomever was in here last used aluminum anti-sieze as a lubricant, which had turned to a thick, sticky, hardening muck.
Now that it's all mucked out, I'm ready to reassemble with the new cables. I've searched this forum, Google, Snowbum's site (and I now have ten other rabbit holes open in tabs -Thanks Bob!), found no mention in Haynes or in my Bing manual.
I have ideas, but I would like to ask for input on lubing this system.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3341 by 12990
12990 replied the topic: What lube for enrichener mechanism?
Ok I ended up using some EP moly on the mechanism and WD40 for the "cables"
If anyone is curious, I'll post long-term results..

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #3343 by Wobbly
Wobbly replied the topic: What lube for enrichener mechanism?
1978 models have the enrichener control lever on the LH air box case and short, un-lined cables. On those I use a "cable luber" to pump chain lube into the cables before complete assembly. Chain lube is generally waterproof and very tenacious, making the job a lifetime lube. I don't put anything on the cable-to-carb mechanism.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Wobbly.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3344 by 8166
8166 replied the topic: What lube for enrichener mechanism?
I'm with you on using a cable luber, but I would NEVER use chain lube on a cable. Most of them nowadays have thickeners so they stick to the chain, but in a cable sheath, especially at low temperatures, they'll make it difficult for the enrichener return spring to move the enrichener crank back to the "off" position. There are several cable specific lubes on the market, and I've had good luck with Triflow and Boeing's T-9. All of them are thin enough to easily run through the sheath during application and they'll stay thin at low temps. WD40 is NOT a lubricant at all, but a solvent and a moisture displacer. Prolly good for cleaning out old gunk (or chain lube) from a cable, but not very good for makin' 'em slide nice.

$.02...

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 21-22, 2018

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3345 by 12990
12990 replied the topic: What lube for enrichener mechanism?
Thanks ya guys.
I couldn't help it: I pictured what a squirt of PJ1 Black Label would do in those housings...Even so, couldn't be any worse than the aluminum anti seize that had worked its way in the old ones.
I've heard (read) some say don't use anything at all on the wire "cables", but i figured at least some "Water Displacer 40" would be a decent bet.
Tri-Flo's a good thought. Maybe I'll do that.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3347 by Wobbly
Wobbly replied the topic: What lube for enrichener mechanism?
The enrichener cables I'm thinking of have a rather stiff solid center wire that pushes the valve closed, it's not a spring return type cable. Thick lubes are OK on those cables.

The later model bikes use the more traditional braided center wire, and those do have a spring return. You're correct Scot, I would not use chain lube on a spring-return cable.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds