The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Installing Push Rod Tubes

More
1 month 1 week ago #3401 by Wobbly
Wobbly replied the topic: Installing Push Rod Tubes
It used to be standard shop practice to drive the PR tubes into the seals 1 or 2mm rather than replace them at the first signs of leakage. Trouble is, no one ever thinks to drive them back out again.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #3402 by 12990
12990 replied the topic: Installing Push Rod Tubes
Hey Wobbly (is that a reference to a SWB /5?)
So whaddaya think? Green loc-tite 'em and go for it, or is the no heat drive-ability a problem warranting new tubes?

More
1 month 1 week ago #3403 by Wobbly
Wobbly replied the topic: Installing Push Rod Tubes
• I believe the installation of the PR tubes that we've been discussing is common to all /5 and later Airheads.

• Most of the LocTite thread lockers turn loose at elevated temperatures, so I don't think this is a good application for any of them. Now, LocTite sealants (aka "gasket makers" like 510) might be another story entirely. I'm simply not familiar enough with the PR tube details to answer.

...or is the no heat drive-ability a problem warranting new tubes?

Sorry, I'm not following your thought process in this statement. Are you talking about driving the PR tubes in/out, or driving the bike after everything is assembled ?

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
1 month 1 week ago #3404 by 8166
8166 replied the topic: Installing Push Rod Tubes
Driving pushrod tube collars down the tube stopped when BMW started supplying one piece pushrod tubes, and that's been a looooooong time. Try that with today's tubes and you're very likely to end up with a leak at the cylinder head end.

I've used green wicking Loctite at the cylinder end for the last two pair of pushrod tubes I've replaced. No leaks so far. Maybe it helps, but it sure as heck doesn't hurt. Belt and suspenders, ya know...

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 21-22, 2018

More
1 month 1 week ago #3406 by 12990
12990 replied the topic: Installing Push Rod Tubes
Yeh, sorry Wobbly - Drive-ability was the wrong word here: (I tend to make up words that only make sense to me)
I was concerned about the ability to move (drive) the push rod tubes with no heat - since most of what I've seen indicates they're a pain in the ass even WITH heat.
Thanks Scott, - I'm leaning toward trying the Loctite 290. If it doesn't work and I have to do the job again, it'll be an excuse to mic the whole thing out and check the bottom end while I'm in there.
I'll letcha guys know what happens.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds