The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Tires

• Eric Salminen
  • Eric Salminen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Newbie
  • Forum Newbie
More
3 months 1 week ago #3623 by Eric Salminen
Tires was created by Eric Salminen
Two tire questions. What tire do you recommend for an R100R? Who in MD or Southern Pa installs ? Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #3624 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Tires
See this thread right here...

www.airheads.org/forum/wrenching/735-tire-recommendations

Any motorcycle shop will install tires, but you should learn to do this for yourself in case you have a flat on the road. Assuming you already have a compressor, a 5 gallon plastic bucket, 2 tire tools, and a can of silicone spray will pretty much get you there.

If you don't have a compressor, then nothing adds to your riding safety and increased tire life more than checking your tire pressures every time before you ride. You can get a compressor, hose, and a professional fill handle with a built-in pressure gauge all for under $100.

www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Commercial-Grade-I...nflation+gauge&psc=1

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
3 months 1 week ago #3625 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Tires

Wobbly wrote: Assuming you already have a compressor, a 5 gallon plastic bucket, 2 tire tools, and a can of silicone spray will pretty much get you there.

I would NEVER let any silicone spray get within a mile of my tires. It will allow the bead to slip on the rim if used as a mounting lube, and you'll be on your head if it gets on the tire tread. Spend a few dollars on the real thing like Ruglyde: smile.amazon.com/AGS-RG18-Gal-Ruglyde-Lu...8-1&keywords=ruglyde

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 21-22, 2018

More
3 months 1 week ago #3627 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Tires
Scot -
That has not been my experience with silicone. I mount multiple tires on a weekly basis using whatever is handy in the shop... which includes a lot of silicone sprays and silicone greases. The wheels are mostly on my bosses vintage AHRMA dirt racers, and some of those tires are run at 15 psi. If any tire was going to slip it would be one with low tire pressure, but we haven't seen that.

The boss (an AMA and AHRMA expert) completed almost 400 AHRMA races last year, and tires just aren't a problem. The list of tire uses includes flat track, motocross, TT, road racing, and trials, and I mount all those tires for him using the same tools and methods. Being vintage class, most of these are 19" front and 18" rear just like our BMWs.

The silicone seems to be absorbed by the rubber compounds and not stick around.

I'm glad you were able to recommend a more conventional lube, but I don't think silicone rates the bad PR.

All the best.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
3 months 5 days ago #3637 by Marlin
Replied by Marlin on topic Tires
When mounting tires, I always lube with NON pumice hand cleaner. It slips when wet, yet sticks the bead pretty well when it dries. And it makes cleanup easier!

Marlin

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.884 seconds