The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon '74 R90s Neutral Light Comes On When Clutch Lever Squeezed

More
4 months 6 days ago #3981 by 14323
I read about the diode on the back side of the circuit board inside the headlight bucket. My question is: is there more than one design/part number board? In other words, does this mean the diode is bad, or could this be the wrong board/part number for this bike? In the short time that I've owned this beauty I've encountered several small issues that were caused by non-correct year components.
Proper way to diagnose diode? Best substitute diode?
Many thanks,
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 6 days ago - 4 months 6 days ago #3982 by 1872
Use your DVM. It may have a diode range or else it should read low resistance one direction and high the other. Yours is probably shorted. With Radio Shack gone, I have no idea where you will find one. Rating is not critical. It must fit in the space but the only thing it powers is the starter solenoid.Also there is a band to indicate polarity. New diode must go in the same direction.
Bob
Last edit: 4 months 6 days ago by 1872. Reason: Mistake
The following user(s) said Thank You: 14323

More
4 months 5 days ago #3987 by 14323
Thanks.
I'll see what's out there... maybe Amazon.

More
4 months 5 days ago #3988 by thundermotive
Both Newark Electronics and Allied are good sources for generic electrical odds and ends.
www.newark.com/
www.alliedelec.com/products/

More
4 months 5 days ago #3989 by 14323
Thanks!
I also found that Radio Shack has parts available online.

More
4 months 4 days ago #3994 by Wobbly
A basic, leaded, discrete diode with the numbers "1004" in them will do everything you need. That's probably the most common one. Your biggest issue is going to be not having to buy 100 or 1000 !! They probably cost 1/2 cent each.

Also, be careful soldering it into place. Heat can kill these units.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.950 seconds